Monday, February 12, 2007

What makes Faith Happy

My Faith, my little girl who is constantly listening and absorbing, taking it all in and keeping it all in. The little girl is afraid of her own emotions when it comes to mama, but with others, it is ok to let it out. She does not like to cry in front of me, she is afraid it will make me sad, so she holds it in. Same with Joel, she does not like to bring it up a whole lot, because she is afraid it will make me sad. This is tough for me to swallow at times, but others, I do ok....Enough of the explanation...here is the story. Today I went to pick Faith up from school, she stayed in the after school program because I was running around doing errands and ran late. When I went in, the lady who runs the program substituted in her class today and told me a story. In religion today they were talking about what makes us happy, they had to do an project of who was happy, then they had to tell the class what makes them happy. Faith's happy moment was "going to see papa's grave". I cried, but tears of joy for once. It made me so happy to hear she was ok with this. I asked her a ton of times, but she never really responded, so to hear this today just made me so happy. I asked her and she just grinned. It made my day. I think a few things that helped us both were the fact that I made a big deal out of this, we made little stepping stones that we laid at the headstone, took pictures, bought wipes just to clean his headstone and a friends husbands, MAJ Sloan. I think we did it right this time and she knows that it is ok to do these things and talk about it. That papa is still a part of our lives.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

What a beautiful story. You are doing an amazing job with the girls--what strength you must be to each other! I am so sorry at the loss of your husband and their father.

Blessings,
Lara

Glo said...

See Mary i told you kids have their own way of dealing. We always worry about the kids and the kids always end up teaching us.You have amazing young lady there and she has an amizing Mom. Glad they were happy tears this time.
Love Ya Girl,
Glo

MQ said...

Wow, that's really powerful. God bless you as you raise your girls...