Tuesday, June 12, 2007

In New York, Ft. Drum

On Sunday the girls and I flew up to New York, Ft. Drum. We came to be with a friend of mine who lost her husband on Oct 31, 2006. I met her in Columbus and we have remained friends. I told her when I first met her that if she wanted me to be with her when her husbands unit came home, I would. So, we came up here. Whew, what a week it has been. I am so glad that I was here for her, so glad that I came. However, it was still difficult. A little more than I let myself beleive it to be. Watching the men walk in brought back all the memories, the thoughts and the feelings I had a year and a half ago when I did not see him come off the airplane. I am a little more drained than I expected to be, however, I am so glad that I could help someone else out. To support her, be here and be a friend. I wish I had had the same support, however, I am glad I had the people there with me that were there. We are heading back to Houston in the am, and we are all so ready to go home. I think this was a little much for the girls too, but we all handeled it pretty well. Bren did get sick last night, but I am not sure if she had a little 24 hour bug or if it was anxiety and fear. She told me last night that she was afraid I was leaving her, and I said, "of course I am not leaving, I never will." She then responded with, "but papa did." This statement broke my heart and I sat in the bathroom, with my ill feeling child bawling. I could not get over it. I am still having a hard time getting past it, but I can't let it keep us down. We talked about all of her thoughts and for a four year old, I think we got it pretty well cleared up, however, one never knows. I think Brenna is starting her second grieving phase and I know it won't be easy, but we will get through it. All in all, this was a good week, a tough one, but good for all of us, I think.

No comments: