Thursday, June 14, 2007

LIttle Tolerance

Yesterday we flew home from NY. It was a good trip, minus the near 4 hour layover in Cleveland. Oh well. The funniest part of this whole trip is the conversation that I had in a little resturant/bar. I realized shortly through the conversation that I have very little tolerance for flattery, or come-ons. Here is the story: The girls and I were sitting in this resturant. We were having chocolate cake, shirley temples and I was having a beer. It had been a long day and a very long flight to come. So as we were sitting there, these two business men from NY sat at the table next to us. They saw our "meal" and chuckled and said, "what a great traveling meal". I laughed and said, "yep, we travel in style, why not make it a good day." I figured the conversations were over, but I was wrong. One of the men turned around and said, "I saw you sprinkle salt on your napkin, what was that for?" Me, being the nice woman in bar said, "it keeps your napkin from sticking every time you pick up your drink". Again, I thought I was done having a conversation with these random strangers, but I was wrong. So they proceeded to ask me how much do you sprinkle, where did I learn this....blah, blah, blah. I told them I had learned it in college and have done it every since. One of the men then turned around and said, "oh so that was two years ago?" What?!!? Come on, were they serious? Here I am, a slightly frumpy looking mom with a 6 year old and a very old looking 4 year old and they seriously just said it must have been two years ago that I was in college?!! I thought, "man, this guy needs some work!" So that would have put me at what, 15 when I had my first kid? Hmmm.....if I had the time, I would have lit into them about how much of jerk he was for just insinuating that I was that young with two older kids. Oh well, it just made me realize how little tolerance I have for men who try to hit on any random person. Yes, it can be considered flattery, I guess, but I certainly did not feel to flattered after that "compliment". I have laughed about it a lot today, especially when we were leaving and the girls said, "see ya later strangers" and one of the men said, "I do a lot of business in Houston, maybe we will see you around?" Yeah, maybe in this huge town you will just bump into me, but I just laughed and walked away.

No comments: