Sunday, June 03, 2007

Long, long time

Well, it has been a very long time since I have wrote, anything. I have been feeling the need to write a lot lately, but I have not had the time. I am sorry that I have been away, but I was dealing with important tasks at hand. As I have wrote before, we just moved to Houston. So far I am in love with the big city life. We have everything on hand that we need, but at the same time, we can travel down to Galveston in a heart beat, over San Antonio for a weekend visit, or out to J's g-parent's ranch for a different weekend visit. THe only thing missing is my parents and Joel's. Along with unpacking and getting settled the girls and I have been doing a little bit of traveling. So, needless to say, our lives have been a little more busy than usual. I did not think that was possible. We just went up to DC for taps, it was a wonderful event. I went with a very good friend of mine, she lost her husband on Halloween of last year. We had a great time, did a lot of walking, spent time out at Arlington, shared a few drinks and a lot of tears and hugs with other widows and "survivors". I am so glad that we did this trip together, but at the same time, it was another milestone and heartache for all of us. I am traveling up to Ft. Drum to go with her to welcome home soldiers and stand by her side at the airfield when the soldiers march in. Just as I did, she wants to be there, to have closure. I told her a long time ago I would be there with her and so next weekend the girls and I are going up there. It will be hard, once again, but I feel that I need to be there for her, for this woman who is almost one year behind me in this "grief" journey, or journey called life. A few more trips are lined up for the summer, but I will write more about those in the days to come. I have realized once again, that i have taken the time away from me to make time for the other things in life(activities, cleaning, kids, swimming....) but in order to stay sane, I need to continue this time for myself. I miss it and I miss my support.

3 comments:

Glo said...

Hi Mary,
Good to see you back. I thought about you and the girls on Memorial week end.Also prayed this year would be a little better for all of you. Sound like you have abetter grip on things now than when I first read your blog. Your healing. I know it still hurts and you miss Joel very much. I'm so proud of you and the strength you've showed through this trying time in your life. Your a wonderful Mother and your girls have learned from you. They will be strong young women. You needed this time to cry,hug and have a few drinks. May God bless you and your family. Glad your move went well. Sounds like your going to busy this summer. Don't be gone so long from your blog...Missed you. My knee replacement went well 4/17 I feel like a new woman. Take care and lots of {{HUGS}} to you and the girls.

John Wilk said...

Hello Mary,
I have put a performance piece together that deals with the aftermath of Iraq. It is a balanced piece which includes letters, poems, blogs and interviews. One of my actresses, Maria saw your beautiful writing. We would like to include, with your official permission, one and possibly two of your earlier entries, "Sleeping Babies"and "Sundays." Could you be kind enough to give us that permission? I can be reached here at City College of Sabn Francisco, jwilk@ccsf.edu.
Thank you so much.

mary said...

Good to see you all too. I have missed my blogging. I may not be the best writter in the world, nor the most eloquent writer, but it is my thoughts, feelings, and most of all, my heart. It helps and you are right Glo, it is healing. I am healing, but I would not be doing as well without my writing and my on-line blog support.