Thursday, April 17, 2008

On my mind today

Ok, so my mind is not quite right, nothing new to me but maybe for some of my fellow bloggers it is. A large portion of the day today has been spent lookin up sexual offenders on the Watch Dog Website http://www.familywatchdog.us. It has scared the crap out of me, made me sick to my stomach and wishing I did not live in Houston. Here is why I started to search anyways. Last week a little girl in Faith's grade was kidnapped just a couple hundred feet away from her bus stop, it was very scary, but even scarier that my daughter new her, played with her and understands what happened to this little girl. The little girl is back home, thank god, but not without emotional scarring for life. It was very scary when it happened and is still today. I have searched watch dog many times before but since this happened I have been on twice in these two weeks. This is the scary part, when I checked last week, there was only one man that was within a mile of my home and .14 miles from the school(that was scary) and today when I checked there was another man that just moved in to our neighborhood and he is actually just across the street a little ways. I know that it is good that I am aware, but it is scary that there are so many and that the majority of them were sexual contact with a child. I guess sometimes it is better to be over protective and cautious. We have had so many chats with the girls about this that they are now thinking it is normal everyday conversation. It is somewhat funny, but also very sad to me, I wish they did not have to grow up this way. I posted the link up above so those of you who have not ever checked, can or pass the link on to your loved ones. It never hurts to be aware of who is living next to or your schools.

2 comments:

MQ said...

Mary, I totally understand. I discovered a sex offender living just down the road from us when my husband was deployed. He showed up to my son's bus stop with - brace yourself - his daughter! I immediately knew it was him and felt like a terrible parent for letting my children anywhere near him. After calming down I called the police to let them know he was around children everyday. They sent undercover officers to see what he was doing, then I didn't see him at the bus stop after that. He broke his parole/probation (not sure what it was) by being around children unsupervised but nothing happened. He didn't go back to jail. He stopped coming to the bus stop, but I still see him with his wife (that's considered "supervised") at school events. It's really scary. I can't imagine how scary it was to have one of your daughter's friends kidnapped. shudder.

Glo said...

Mary, I also understand. I been going on this website for the last three yrs. It's very scary. We have one just a block from our home.My granddaughters don't live here ,but we have a lot of children in the neighbor hood. I watch and report any thing I don't think looks right. The police may think I'm a crack pot old lady...but I pay my taxes...They really work for me.
Here in our neighbor hood ( we been here 22 yrs) we watch out for each other. All I can say get to know your neighbors. The kids all know they can come to my door any time. Their parents always say if any thing isn't right go to Glo's...
Sweetie I know how scary it is...My granddaughters are going to be 13 in July...and this old world scare's the HELL out of this old lady.
Love Ya,
Glo