Wednesday, April 12, 2006

The Wedding

I remember our wedding like it was yesteday, I can remember the events that happened before and after, clear as day. Joel and moved in together on May 1st into a little apartment that he searched and searched for, it had to be "just right" and safe. It was too. 72nd Place Apartments, safe, hidden and convienent. We moved in, set up our little home, bed, lamps, desk and computer. That was it at first, then Joel went out one day and bought a table and chairs and a couch. He did all of this on his own, he did a great job and I was so proud of him. We had a nice little set up and it all worked well for us. Then on on May 7th, I think, he graduated from UNO, that was the start of our "wedding" events. The following week we had our bachelor/bachelorette party, it was great and a lot of fun, but not as fun as my bachelorette party my great friends threw for me, that was fun. Ending in me getting a bar full of men signing "you've lost that loving feeling to me", it was a lot of fun. Boy did I have a headache the next day though! Then on May 14th in the morning Joel and his ROTC class had their commissioning at CU, he was now officially a 2nd LT. Yeah, he had moved out of the ranks of E6, I was so very proud of him and elated for him. Then that evening we had our rehearsal and the dinner. The rehearsal was wonderful, it was a nice evening, it was fun and relaxing. I have so many pictures from that night. Then we went to this old mansion in Omaha that does a lot of wedding's and receptions and rehearsal dinners, I wish I could remember the name of that place....It was so beatiful and elegant. May 15th, we woke up to rain....rain! All day long! Joel and I had gone to bed that night, after a very long, very tiring day and we said, "I hope it does not rain tomorrow". Joel was beside himself, he was so stressed out. He spent all morning with my dad making sure that the tent got set up outside on the parade grounds(we were married outside) and helping set up chairs and making final arrangements. It was pretty funny. I remember, he was so stressed out and his stomach was such a mess we had to send my mom out for some Zantac to calm his stomach and reflux. It was even more funny. The rain finally cleared up and we had a wonderful, overcast and warm evening wedding. It was wonderful. I could not keep my eyes off of that man, he looked so good in his uniform and he was so proud too. It was a wonderful night. The reception went well, and we both had a lot of fun. Neither one of drank a whole lot, but I sure felt "the buzz" like I had because I was on top of the world having married him. I was elated. I remember dancing with him, I remember my friend K., my maid of honor, giving her toast and telling Joel to put his hand on mine because this is the last time he would have the upper hand. It was pretty funny, but how true. I remember our friend D. giving his toast about how he was responsible for this. It was pretty hysterical too. Joel and I had a wonderful night that night. We took a picture with a group of our friends from ROTC, D,P,G,J. It was a great picture and ironically those four men were photographed knealing in front of Joel's casket, praying and one of them was touching the casket, I am so greatful to have those two sets of photo's. WE were surrounded by friends, family and a lot of love, it was a wonderful day. I miss him so much. I miss his smile, his laugh, his inability to dance, his sense of humor, the way he held me, kissed me, hugged me. I miss all of it terribly. Most of all.....I miss his voice, angry, happy, sad...whatever tone, I miss it. How I love that man, how I miss him.

No comments: