Monday, February 27, 2006

Sleeping Babes

I just went into my bedroom and stood there for a few minutes, mesmerized by my two beautiful girls. Bren, asleep on my bed, laying on her back like her papa did, always, knees contorted into a semi-bent, semi-laying position, her eyes half open so you can see her eye balls moving.....just like her papa. I wanted to cry, but then looked at Faith, sacked out in her flower sleeping bag, on her side like me, knees curled up...like her mama, but where she reminds me the most of joel is her talking, she can carry on a full conversation in her sleep, just like Joel. Yesterday she actually sat up, said, "mama, I don't want it", then laid back down and slept for another 30 minutes. This morning she was laying there, doing some sort of hand puppet story she learned at school, it was to cute, but again, I wanted to cry. I wanted to scream, why, why, why. I know I can't, not because I would wake the girls, but I know that I have my memories and that they will always remind me of my Joel, always give me that sense of having a part of him with me, always. I am greatful for that, and I know in time, as I start to get better, I will have fun pointing these things out to the girls, writing them down with them and talking about the things they "inherited" from their papa. I know in time it will be easier to see these things and smile, or laugh, because Joel had some damn funny habits, like sleep eating.....a lot of things that I am sure I will talk about later. A lot of things that I know will continue to crop up in my girls as they get older. I love these girls and thank God I have them right now to keep me going, keep me sane(or somewhat sane anways), that point is debatable on whom you talk to.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Dear Mary,

We have been working on a class project at City College of San Francisco which has resulted in a performance ready piece. We seek your permission to use some of the material you wrote as an important part of the presentation. The piece is called "Aftermath of War: in their own words" and is shaping up to be a wonderful collection of stories by US soldiers who were in Iraq and their family members. The piece purposely does not take a stand for or against the war, focusing instead on the experiences, emotions and dreams of the people in uniform and their loved ones. Specifically we are interested in your entry from entitled "Sleeping Babes" and your entry entitled "Sunday", both from February 2006.

We invited friends to view the piece for a presentation and the reaction was very powerful. In the discussion that followed, people both for and against the war, spoke of how moved they were by these words. They felt we need to do it again. We seek your permission to use some of the text you have created in the script of our theatre presentation. Would you please let us know whether or not we may include your writing in our piece by contacting our instructor, John Wilk at City College of San Francisco? His e-mail address is: jwilk@ccsf.edu

We would be most grateful.

Sincerely,

Maria Leigh