Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Article

Today was the day that the local paper had an article about Joel, the girls, and I in it. I have been told it was a good article, but I guess I have a biased opinion. I read the article and a few things caught my attention right away. The first, being the thing that upsets me the most right now is how the journalist phrased what I said about Joel and being in Audie Murphy's Company. As I read it, it made it sound like Joel knew this was Audie Murphy's Co(which is tru), that Joel knew all there was to know about Audie M.(true again), but then he said, but Joel did not think about that a lot, he was more proud of being a CO and getting his command(this is all from memory so some of the wording is off, I am sure). That is not true, that is not what I said, what I said was Joel was proud to have been able to lead soldiers, as a CO and as a soldier, his primary concern was always his soldiers, he just got to do it as a commander now. I almost felt like the writer made it sound like Joel did not care about anything but getting command. That really upset me, because that is not the case, Joel always held his soldiers first and I know that those who knew Joel and his leadership style know this, but.....I just want him remembered for who he was, who he truly was, not what some reporter wrote in the paper that had some half truth's in it. Maybe I am being ultra sensitive in all of this and it is a good article, I guess I just have a very deep, very strong emotional investment and it gets bruised at times, very easily. I know I am being to sensitive, but he is my husband and I want people to know what he truly stood for and to me some of the article did not portray that in the best manner. There is nothing I can do aout it now, except know that those who knew him know how he was and remember him for who he was and tell that to my girls.

2 comments:

chrissy said...

Mary

I promise not to write so much this time. I just want you to know this. I bought the paper and read it and I thought it was a good article. I know from personal experience how much your husband cared for his soldiers. When I got sick in September and needed my husband home for a short time, I spoke with you just after sending out the redcross message, within 24hrs I had a email from your husband saying that my husband had many missions over there but for now the most important mission he had to be on was the one at home with me. The only conversation I ever held with him was that one, thanking him for allowing my husband to come during my surgery, how many actually would of taken the time to email me personally to say that. It wasn't expected but it sure was respected. All around your husband was respected by all he came into contact with whether they were generals or privates, he truely was a good man. He believed in soldiers and they believed in him. So many went to pay their respects to him while they were on leave, they knew he cared about them as well as commanding them.
Okay I said I wouldnt get long winded and look at me....
Sorry...

mary said...

Thanks Chrissy, I appreciate that and it means a lot to me.
I have been told by many people that it was a great article representing Joel, the girls and I very well and well written. I know they are right, or else they would not be taking the time to tell me. Like I said, I think I am ultra sensitive right now and I feel as though I have to protect my husband, he would do it for me, he did do it for me.