Friday, March 31, 2006

Life as a single mom

I am not sure how in the heck I am going to do this "single mom" stuff. I know millions of mothers do it on a daily basis, but this morning almost drove me to the breaking point. I get the girls up, ready for school, tell Bren to get her shoes and socks on and come brush her teeth. She of course tells me, "no mama, I want to wear sandals". No you cannot wear sandals to school, you have to follow the rules. Please get your heart socks on and find a pair of shoes....."ok mama". I thought things were going to be ok, but nope, Bren is in her room, playing on the bed, no socks, no shoes. I am about to loose it a little but I say, "come on we need to get rolling." Bren has to go potty, "ok, get in the bathroom, I will find your shoes and socks". I get the items, walk into the bathroom, and what do I find......Brenna sticking the plunger in the toilet, pants half pulled down, and wet! I was so upset!!! Bren has a habit lately of getting distracted and wetting her pants, this has gotten better, but this morning it drove me crazy...we just put the darn pants on!! So I take her to room, give her a good chewing out, get panties, new jeans, and finally get her dressed, all the while she is screaming....i want my grandma, I want my papa, I want my grandpa....anyone but mean mama. Finally I get her into the bathroom to brush her teeth, another drama scene to be had. I don't like this toothbrush, I don't want this toothpaste, I don't want to brush my teeth. "Fine, don't brush your teeth, they will fall out and you won't have any, you will have to eat your food through a straw because you can't chew." "ok, mama, I want to eat. I will brush." AUGH!!! I truly felt like I could not do this today, how in the heck am I going to keep doing this for years?! Dear God help me.....I know every mother has days like this, I know even when Joel was home, I had them, but he was here to interviene, here to help in a physical way. I know these moments will be forgotten and replaced by happier ones, I know when I look back and remember times with my children, it will be the fun, loving, memorable moments that stick out into my mind. Not the times where I was about to go ever-loving crazy. I do know that Joel is with me in spirit, how ever today...I felt pretty alone, maybe I was to worked up to feel him with me, maybe I was not paying enough attention, but I know he is with me now and is always there....it just bothered me that I felt that alone then, that far from anywhere I ever thought I would be in my life with my children right now.

No comments: