Thursday, March 23, 2006

The Ring

A few years ago, my wedding band got caught on something at work and the diamond fell out. I found the stone after looking and looking for it, actually a patient found it for me. I took it home, put it away and waited for Joel and I to take it in and get the stone reset into another ring. We were going to use his wedding band and mine and make a new ring out of the stones. Joel's original wedding band had diamonds in it and he never wore it, he always wore his field ring(a plain band that we bought when he went to IOBC and I went to ROTC Adv. CAmp). Finally one day I asked him why he wore that one and not his wedding band, he finally said, "Mary, I don't like the daimonds, daimonds are for .........(those of you who knew Joel, can probably fill in that statement). So I bought him a titanium and gold band for our first Valentines day and he wore that one all the time, except on deployments(it now has a home on my middle finger, right hand). S0....back to the story......Joel had bought me a beautiful tanzinite ring from Africa, I wore that all the time in place of my wedding band. When Joel was home on R and R, we talked about taking his wedding band, my wedding ring, and the tanzinite and getting it reset into one ring, combining the metals of the two wedding bands. I was really excited about doing this, it meant a lot to me that he wanted to do this and brought it up on R and R. Shortly after Joel passed, I took the rings into a local jewlery store to have the ring made, it was my first step to accepting his death. It was an emotional time to let go of the ring so soon after the death, to let those precious things out of my possesion. It has now been almost four months and I am still waiting. I am getting so upset. I just want the ring back, more so to have it back in my possesion, even if the ring is not done. I just want it back......I am so frustrated. I called the store today and she said it could be done tomorrow but more like saturday......damn it! I wanted to scream, but I just stood there, thinking ok...a few more days....but then I stood there, started bauling and thought but I was supposed to have it right after christmas, then late Feb, then the second week of March.....now maybe Saturday. Damn, damn, damn......I wish I had not taken it in now, I wish I had waited or found someone who could stick to their "timeline". I am so frustrated. It is not the fact that I don't have a new ring, it is the fact that I don't have these precious things back, that I let them out of my site for so long. I just want them back.

No comments: